Garage Cabinets Buying Guide
Best Garage Tool Cabinets
What to Look for in a Tool Cabinet
If you have a disorganized garage that looks more like a mess than the garage of your dreams, then garage cabinets can help you to get everything under control and turn the mess into an organized state of affairs. At least they will help you to free up precious floor space in your garage, making more room for your cars. There are multiple different options of garage cabinets available that you can choose from, but before jumping into this step it will be a good idea to do some planning first.
Planning for Your Tool Cabinets
Amount of Storage Room
- Make a list of things that needs storage room: Make a list of items that are lying around in your garage or somewhere else in your home that you want to store in the cabinets. Think about how much space will these items require to determine the quantity and size of future cabinets. Also, if you have heavy items that you are going to store in the cabinets, consider buying heavy duty cabinets that are strong enough for the job.
Garage Space Required
- Measure the space that you have: Decide where in your garage you are going to put the cabinets and the space that you have. Obviously, the base cabinets are going to use some floor space so be sure that you have enough space. Regarding the wall cabinets, make sure that they are clear of any obstructions such as car lifts or garage door rails. Also, if you have limited space but need to use a tool organizer to sort and organize all your tools
New or ReUsedGarage Cabinets
- Decide if you want new or reused garage cabinets: Think how much money you have budgeted for your garage cabinets. If you are on a tight budget consider buying reused or recycled cabinets. Used cabinets can be an old kitchen or bath cabinets. On the other hand, if you plan to turn your garage into a state-of-the-art workshop and have the budget to do it, then new garage cabinets will be the best choice.
Choose the Right Environment
- Consider the environment: For sure, the environment in your garage is different from the one in your kitchen, laundry room or bathroom. The garages can be cold and moist. Choose a garage cabinet made from a material that is most suitable to your garage environment.
Different types of garage cabinets
Garage cabinets usually are made from the following materials:
- Plastic is generally a good choice for garage cabinets as they are immune to many challenges as corrosion, moisture and can be easily cleaned. Also, plastic is a budget-friendly option. The shortcoming of plastic is that the load capacity is lower than for metallic and wooden cabinets.
- Wood-based: Wood-based cabinets are it from MDF (medium density fiberboard), plywood or particle board can be easily painted to your desired color. However, the major downside of this type is their vulnerability to moisture and their heavyweight.
- Metal: Metal cabinets also can be painted or powder coated and add a lot of style to your garage. The metal cabinets are durable, have high load capacity and can store heavy items. The downfall is that this type is usually expensive and prone to corrosion especially in the areas that are not protected from moisture or corrosive chemicals. When you have a metal cabinet it allows you to use a magnetic tool holders that allows you to attach the organizer to the side of the cabinet. This saves you a lot of space.
Once you have chosen the ideal cabinets for your garage spend some time to make an organizational plan. In this case you will not only find everything more easily but will also keep your garage organized for long-term.